For this month’s challenge we’re trying something a little different than our usual component of the month. Our blog leader Jen set us a headpin challenge. We could make some in our chosen medium, create something with headpins from another Artisan maker, or both…. pretty much anything goes as long as the design has, as Jen put it, some ‘fancy schmancy’ pins in it!
I have only made ceramic headpins once before. They’re difficult in clay if you want them on anything other than high temperature wire. I don’t think it’s as pretty as copper or other wires which will melt while firing, so you need to fire them on something that won’t collapse in the kiln at stoneware temperatures. I rigged up a little firing tray from soft kiln brick with wire wedged in it to hold them and crossed my fingers I wouldn’t open the kiln to a welded lump!
Luckily everything came out well and after fixing with bronze wire the pins were finished.
I’ve been playing around with lots of tree ideas so the first pair were based on buds on a branch.
I like how the buds looked so I tried out a multi bud design. It’s hard to keep everything so small!
Next I tried out some leaves… these are my favourites!
I decided they needed something to finish them off so I added some tiny copper flower spacers.
I had intended to use some of each to create some jewellery, but it’s been a busy month, so I only managed a quick pair of earrings. I love these… they remind me of magic wands!
I’ve really enjoyed working on something smaller and I’ll definitely be trying out some new ideas in the future!
To see what the rest of the AJE Team and special guests have created, join us in the blog hop by following the links below.
AJE Team Members:
Caroline Dewison << You are here