When Lesley at the Gossiping Goddess asked if any one wanted free beads, well how could I say no?
Her good friend and lampworker, Kaz Baildon had had a clear out and was left with loads of lovely beads that she didn’t know what to do with so they were sent to Lesley who very kindly offered some of them out to anyone participating in her challenge.
I’ve never made anything with a heart bead before and the colours are not something I would have gone for, but after a rummage around in my box of stuff, I started to form an idea. I’ve been stashing Czech beads for a while and the matt green rondelles went perfectly with the focal heart. I threw everything that looked like it matched in a pile on my desk and narrowed down a few different bits to go in to the design. The Czech beads were wrapped on to copper wire around the heart with Maroon KO thread and held in place with green magatama drops. I then used one of the spacer beads to add a dangle and finished it off with a vintage Czech glass leaf.
It sat on my desk threaded on the silk strings for a couple of weeks untouched as I puzzled what to do with the other spacer. I considered hiding it, but I’m sure Lesley would have noticed!
I had some round knobbly washers which I thought would make a great toggle clasp, but they were bronze and didn’t match the copper in the rest of the design, so they went in to the electroforming bath for a few minutes and tadaaa… they were copper plated. The final spacer was wired up to make the bar with a couple of loops to hold the silk strings and everything was finished with thin copper wire.
I’m pleased with how the final design turned out, and have really enjoyed taking part in the challenge.
Big thanks to Lesley for organising it all (even when poorly!) and to Kaz Baildon for the beads.
You can see more of Kaz’s lovely beads in her Etsy shop >>> http://www.etsy.com/shop/cheekycherubdesigns
To see what everyone else has made in the challenge, follow the links below…
- Lesley Watt – http://thegossipinggoddess.blogspot.co.uk/
- Cory Tompkins – http://tealwaterdesigns.blogspot.co.uk/
- Rebecca Anderson – http://songbeads.blogspot.co.uk/
- Marie Cramp – http://skyejewels.blogspot.co.uk/
- Claire Braunbarth – http://smittenbeads.blogspot.co.uk/
- Heidi Post – http://expostfactojewelry.blogspot.co.uk/
- Tiffany Smith – http://southerngalsdesign.blogspot.co.uk/
- Sharyl Macmillan-Nelson – http://sharylsjewelry.blogspot.co.uk/
- Ailsa Cordner – http://www.bramalfiebeadsetc.co.uk/
- Linda Landig – http://lindalandig.wordpress.com/
- Caroline Dewison – http://blueberribeads.co.uk/ <<<You are here 🙂
- Renetha – http://www.lamplightcrafts.blogspot.co.uk
- Kari Asbury – http://hippiechickdesign.blogspot.co.uk/
- Niky Sayers – http://silverniknats.blogspot.com
- Purple Cobwebs – http://www.purplecobwebs.blogspot.co.uk/
- Cilla Watkins – http://www.tellyourgirlfriends.com/
- Therese Frank – www.theresestreasures59.blogspot.com
- Claire Ennis – http://clairescrystalclassics.blogspot.co.uk/
- Emma – http://apolymerpenchant.blogspot.co.uk/
- Kathy Lindemer – http://bay-moon-design.blogspot.co.uk/
- Alicia – http://www.allprettythings.ca/
- Sandy Huntress – http://keepsakecrafts.net/blog/
- Lori Bowring Michaud – http://artfullyornamental.blogspot.co.uk/
- Amy – http://copperdiem.blogspot.co.uk/
- Katherine Gale – http://terrabeadworks.blogspot.co.uk/
And if you would like to see more of my Jewellery designs, please take a look in my Etsy shop >>> http://www.etsy.com/shop/blueberribeads