blog, Tutorials

Building a Raku Kiln

 

Hello again… it’s been a while!

 

I don’t think I’m very good at this blogging lark! Any spare time I get, you’ll usually find me up to my elbows in clay. But every so often when I do remember I have a blog, there’s always lots to say, so here’s a peek at what I’ve been doing…

I decided to make my own Raku kiln… I’ve no idea if it will work, and typically when I’d finished it started raining, so I’ve only had a quick go ( just to test that it didn’t explode or anything), but I’ve taken pictures as I’ve gone along coz I thought it might be interesting! 🙂

 

So here’s the ingredients…

  • A metal bin with lid from Ikea (I use an identical one for the reduction part of the firing)
  • Ceramic fibre blanket
  • A long arm propane burner
  • Ceramic buttons and Nichrome wire for securing the blanket to the bin
  • Tools
  • Gloves & facemask for cutting the blanket.

A note about the fibre blanket… it’s nasty stuff, I’m still itching from handling it, and that was yesterday morning! You should never breathe in the dust that comes off it and a mask and gloves are essential.

So to start, I cut a circular hole 2 inches wider than the burner on the side of the bin and a slightly smaller one in the lid.

Then I marked even spaces around the sides and drilled holes for the buttons and wire to be fastened in.

It’s a bit mucky in this picture because I had to empty the reduction bin into it the other day when I forgot how many hare beads I’d put in! Note for future, always count what you’ve got! I did give it a clean up after the cutting. I used my Dremel drill with metal cutting discs to cut the holes, I also wore a full face visor mask type thing and welders gloves for this bit… there were a lot of sparks!

I made these buttons from stoneware clay. The nichrome wire goes through them and the blanket, through the holes in the bin, and are bent out to secure it all together.

 

This is what the bin looks like now all the buttons have been fastened through it. The bricks at the bottom are to hold the kiln shelf which will lift everything I’m firing above the flame.

 

I filled the lid with a circle of the blanket too, so that when it’s on, it will create a good seal and get the heat going nice and quickly. Once they were all fastened in, I cut the blanket out of the burner and vent holes.

The last job was to make the kiln shelf. As I’m too tight to buy a round one, I cut it from a square one I had, again using my dremel drill (that thing’s worth it’s weight in gold!) and about 15 cutting discs… they’re pretty tough to get through!

 

The shelf went in on the bricks, I put the lid on and lit the burner! It was a bit scary, but sure I’ll get used to it after a few goes. The heat that comes from it is amazing, definitely not something I’ll be doing with the kids around!

 

So the only job left to do is a proper firing. Hopefully, I’ll get a couple of hours to play over the weekend… but for now, I have tons to do for my next fair. I’ll be at Haydock racecourse for the Beads up North Fair on Sunday 29th July… Hope to see you there!

2 thoughts on “Building a Raku Kiln

  1. Yes, I’ve used it a couple of times with varying success. I think that’s down to my lack of experience rather than the kiln itself though, it gets up to 1000oC no problem, it certainly does the job!

Leave a Reply