It’s reveal day for the Art Elements Component of the month. This month will be our last one which is sad, we’ve had some amazing components and great fun designing around each others creations. We’re not giving up on challenges though, next month we’ll switching over to theme based challenges open to all mediums… exciting!!
But back to February… for our final component challenge we were treated to a stunning copper rune from Niky Sayers. I’m in love with everything that Niky makes. Her work is unique and beautiful and these little runes are no exception. I chose mine from a lucky dip last month when the UK members travelled down to London to meet up with Jenny. I was dithering over what to choose and Niky suggested to just pick one from her bag and this is what I drew… It arrived a couple of weeks later in this gorgeous card.
Name: unknown. Phoneme: P. Meaning: unknown.
I liked the description of ‘a secret matter’ and it set me off thinking about what it could become. I thought I’d be brave and try out something a bit different.
This is Tina… Tina Turner, and she’s fantastic! She’s a bit scary, but I’m slowly getting the hang of wood turning and have been making beads, pens and other small items. She lives on my Grandad’s old work bench… his surname was Turner which I think is a lovely bit of serendipity!
The plan is to build up to making sculpture bases and incorporating wood in to some of my ceramics. But that’s for the future, at the moment I’m still practising.
I had a rummage in my stash of wood blanks and one of them looked just right to make a small box. A perfect vessel for a secret matter!
The wood is spalted beech. The colouring is from fungus which grows on dead or fallen branches. It travels along the branches and marks out it’s territory. The black lines are a barrier to protect it’s area and each fungus alters it’s patch by changing the PH of the wood which changes the colour of each section. When the wood is processed by kiln drying, it kills the fungus and stops the decomposition of the wood, but left to thrive, the wood would eventually rot and go back to the earth… fascinating stuff!
So armed with my visor and big girl pants, I rounded the blank and cut it in two to make a lidded box.
The pieces were separated and cut to make a top and a bottom with a mortice and tenon lid.
After sanding I applied a coat of linseed oil to bring out the colour and pattern and marked where the rune would fit. I carved this section out with my dremel using a burr bit.
The rune was set with Epoxy resin and I added a garnet stone in the lid to fill in a hole where I hadn’t quite turned it down enough. Finally, the whole thing was given a coat of beeswax and buffed.
It’s far from perfect, but it’s the largest thing I’ve made to date and I’m quite pleased with how it turned out. I haven’t decided what I’ll put in it yet, but it will probably be a secret!
Thank you to Niky for her wonderful component, I’ve really had fun with this challenge, I hope you’ll join me in the blog hop to visit the rest of the team and guests and see all of their wonderful creations! Links are below…
Art Element Members:
Caroline Dewison << You are here